Monday, January 29, 2007

 
DISCLAIMER, please read:
I wish to apologies for a sentence in my last posting that has caused some confusion. Due to poor proof reading, it was implied that Fi ended a night in Cusco dancing topless in a bar. This is in fact untrue and it was an Irish guy we were out with that was doing the topless dancing. I wish to apologise to Fi and will be more careful in future about what I write.


Sometime soon after my last post I must have eaten something dodgy as that night my stomach was not happy with me. I´ve narrowed it down to two contenders: a kebab from a dodgy Asian place or the chicken from Chicky Pollo (Bolivia´s answer to KFC). Still before my stomach got bad I managed to make it to Valle De Luna (Moon Valley) which is 10km outside of Bolivia. It is a valley where the rocks have eroded in a strange way to create a bizarre landscape not unlike that of the moon. There was a 45 minute trek around the valley which I took on my own since Fi was off cheating death on death road. After that I headed down the road to the local zoo. Was pretty cool but was so massive it took a lot of wandering around before I could actually find any animals. Arriving back at the hostel that evening the first signs of my stomach problems showed themselves. I decided to boycott food religiously and watched a couple of dvds with the girls from the hostel. That night was spent with frequent trips to and from the auld Baño.

Didn´t get up to much the next day. Spent most of it in bed still not eating food. Finally at tea time I allowed myself a half pack of cream crackers and some flat 7up. Nina, one of the girls in the hostel, wasn´t feeling great either so we suffered together with a few more dvds. The next morning, the change was incredible. I felt a million times better and decided to get up and see as much of La Paz as I could since we were getting a night bus to Sucre that evening. A bunch of very nice people we met in the hostel (consisting of an Irish guy, 2 English blokes, a Canadian couple and an American) were heading to Sucre and some of the places we´re going to after and so we all teamed up and headed to Sucre together. The bus ride was uncomfortable as we were sitting just before the stairwell resulting in reduced leg space which for me is a commodity in itself. Made it to Sucre for about 8am having only gotten maximum an hour´s sleep. However after a bit of freshening up and some breakfast I wasn´t feeling too bad so joined the others for a wander round the square. Similar to Cuenca, almost everywhere in the entire city was closed up on a Sunday. Despite our best efforts to find some cultural stuff to do, we still found ourselves having the chat in a Dutch bar for the day. A really enjoyable afternoon just having the craic. Back at the hostel that evening we met some of the other people who were staying there and stayed out chatting on the patio till all hours. Brian (the other Irish guy) also very kindly gave us renditions of such patriotic Irish songs as The Fields of Athenry and Come on Ye Black ´n´Tans!

This morning we took the "Dinotruck" (A truck with some dinosaurs painted on the side) to a quarry where some dinosaur footprints were found in the rock. We took a tour of the outdoor museum there which contained many lifesize models of dinosaurs. The dinotruck took us back to Sucre after where we enjoyed a ludicrously cheap lunch in probably the poshest restaurant in Sucre. Still less than €3 for a meal and a beer. The others have gone off to see examples of indiginous art which really isn´t my cup of tea however they are probably back now so I´m off to see what the plan for the evening is. Adios!

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]